Victims of crime may be entitled to financial benefits through the Victims of Crime Financial Benefits Program. This financial compensation program is based on the injuries directly suffered from the crime and is not to pay for costs or losses due to the crime.
You may be eligible for financial benefits if you meet the following criteria:
- you were the victim of one of the eligible offences listed in the Victims of Crime Regulation
- the crime happened in Alberta (however you do not need to live in Alberta to be eligible)
- you reported the crime to police within a reasonable period of time (a charge or conviction is not needed to receive assistance)
- you co-operated with the investigation into the crime
- the application is received within 2 years of the date of the crime – in special circumstances this may be extended. For example, if you were under the age of 18 when the crime occurred you have until age 28 to apply